I don’t travel often. When I do
travel, I generally do not go very far from home. Although, I’m amazed to say I’ve actually
been all the way to Florida a time or two!
I have never been to another country, never had to deal with a primary language
other than English. At the same time,
I’m not oblivious to the difficulties. I
have tried to learn Spanish on a number of occasions. I took Spanish in high school, college,
through a school district after college, and through the recreation center. I’ve learned bits and pieces of the
language. I can ask for a hamburger and
a beer. I can ask for the location of
the bathroom or library. I know just
enough to get me into a conversation, but not enough to continue it. If Spanish is spoken to me, I can understand
bits and pieces, but may not be able to respond correctly. It’s really frustrating. In that way, I can relate to my ELL
students.
To deepen my understanding, I selected a text in a foreign language that
reflected my approximate reading level. The
text was chosen from Readinga-z.com and was a level Z book. I chose to print this book in French. I thought this would be fairly simple because
parts of English are Latin-based, as are Spanish and French. Going into the exercise, I was fairly sure I
would be able to decode the book relatively easily. I was sorely mistaken. I found it extremely difficult to decode the
book. I looked for familiar words or
chunks that might give me a clue to the meaning of the text. The book contained pictures, so I was able to
look at the pictures for clues as well, but to be honest they were not much
help. It was clear, very quickly, that I
was not going to be able to decode this level Z book.
Perhaps if the book were a little easier, I reasoned, I might be more
successful. I dropped the level to
R. The title was different, but the
level was easier and the book was still in French. This time I found little words I could
recognize and chunks of words I could decode.
I was still not able to read the book entirely, but I was able to read
bits and pieces.
Next, I dropped the reading level to N.
There were more small words and chunks I recognized and could determine
the meaning of, but there were still plenty of words I was unable to decode. As a result, I was not able to read the text
with any level of comprehension. As a
matter of fact, there were several words that I tried to read, but am not sure
I was even pronouncing them correctly!
So frustrating! Level H, and even
D, was not much better. I found myself struggling
with the same issues regardless of the level.
Finally I dropped to level A. I
did not understand the words any better, but I was able to find a pattern in
the words. Based on the word pattern and
the pictures, I was finally able to decode and comprehend the book.
What an interesting exercise! In
order to understand a book in a foreign language, I had to drop my reading
level all the way back to a kindergarten level.
I wonder how this experience would have changed if I had an instructor
to guide me as I tried to read these books.
With some support, would I have been able to read a more difficult level
with someone helping me decode words? I
also chose fiction stories. Would I have
been more successful with the use of non-fiction text? Was part of the problem a lack of prior
knowledge to fall back on? I wondered,
as well, how being presented with a book designed for 5 year olds would make an
older student feel on a strictly personal level. This was not as easy as I thought it would
be. I was surprised and have been
enlightened as to what my ELL students experience in my classroom.
Nice clear explanation of the frustration ELL students must feel when they read text in English. I am guessing that nonfiction would be harder than fiction, as long as the student has some background in English narrative, i.e. characters with a problem and a resolution. Nonfiction reading is almost always done to learn new concepts, and how can one do that if the connecting words, not to mention the big new vocabulary concept words are unintelligible. I know many fifth grade students who read at a second and third grade level who are not interested in reading books with second and third grade protagonists.
ReplyDeleteMallory,
DeleteThank you for your comments! You may be right about nonfiction being more difficult if it is a new subject for them. I wonder if it were a book about a subject they had some background knowledge in, maybe they could connect to a few familiar words. I'm not sure. That would be something interesting to investigate!
Jenny
I was also humbled by this assignment. I really thought I would be able to figure out enough words to derive meaning. I was like you, success came at a kindergarten level. I agree with you that it would be hard to find the right level of book to help build their language knowledge and confidence without making them feel like they are reading "baby" books. I was actually thinking that perhaps nonfiction could be easier if you had some background knowledge about the subject. If you could possibly identify words that you knew has some connection with the subject you may be able to have more success figuring out the rest of the words in each sentence. If you didn't have any background knowledge it would be just as difficult as the narrative story. Maybe we should try the same activity with non-fiction.
ReplyDeleteAngie,
DeleteI have always been challenged to find books for older students that are level appropriate, but do not make them feel as though they are reading "baby" books. I have had more success with books from Readinga-z.com than with many regularly published books. On a personal note, I am trying to help my second grade son move to chapter books. We have tried several series, but some of them are conceptually too difficult for him. It is a challenge to find a book at the level he can read at, but a subject that is not too mature. Always a challenge!
Jenny
I had the same challenge with my son in 2nd grade. He wasn't ready for many of books some of his friends were reading, but wanted to read chapter books that looked big and beyond his level of reading. I think he pretended to read the big ones in class, but at home liked the silly ones like Frannie K Stein and Magic Pickle. I wish publishers would increase the font size of some stories in the 2-3 grade reading level so they were "thicker" and would appeal to those kiddos that need that. Have you tried Roscoe Riley or The World According to Humphrey, a lot of 2nd grade boys check these out in our library.
DeleteGreat ideas! I will certainly look into these! Thank you!
ReplyDelete