Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Books that need background information



                One of my favorite authors is Tedd Arnold.  I have enjoyed his Fly Guy, Huggly, and Parts books (the list goes on and on) both at home with my family and in the classroom with my students.  I find his books fun, feel-good books that are always a bright spot in the day.  That being said, although they are fun books for students who speak English as their native language, they can be a bit of a challenge for students who are learning English.  As obvious as that sounds, this is not something I had given much thought to until earlier this school year.  I took Huggly’s Halloween to school to read to my class before Halloween.  One of my students is a first generation American from a Nepalese family.  He spoke English very well so I assumed he would have no problem understanding this book.  On the second page of the book, Huggly and his friends looked outside and noticed that all the people had turned into monsters (dressed up for Halloween).  This confused little boy asked what a monster was.  I was really surprised.  I wasn’t sure exactly how to describe or define a monster.  It was something I had always just known about.  The rest of the book was a challenge for him to understand.  Not only was the book a challenge because of the monsters, but why were the people dressing up for Halloween?  This might be a new concept for some ELL students not only from the standpoint of language, but in terms of culture as well.  That was when I realized that I needed to be much more careful about the books I chose and that I may need to clarify concepts within the story.  As I looked for a second story that might be a challenge for ELL students, I realized that Tedd Arnold’s book More Parts would also be a challenge.  It was a challenge for the little boy in the book!  The comments made in the book are not meant to be taken literally.  “I’ll bet that broke your heart,” is not an indication that your heart is physically broken or shattered.  This is a terrific opportunity to introduce some of these common phrases to students who may not understand their meaning.  Now is the perfect time to think about how these books could be used in a classroom with ELL students. 
Title
Challenge
Solution
Huggly’s Halloween
What is Halloween?
Help students understand that Halloween is a holiday when people choose to dress up in costumes.  Some people dress up in scary costumes, some in fun costumes. 

Why are people dressing up?
People dress up just for fun.  After dressing up, children go to different houses, knock on the door, say, “Trick or Treat” and the person inside gives them candy. 

What is a monster?
Help students understand that a monster is not a real person.  Monsters can be scary or funny.  Not all monsters are the same.  Generally, monsters cause mischief.

What is a haunted house?  
A haunted house has things in it that might be scary.  But don’t worry, it’s just for fun. 
More Parts
What is a broken heart?
If someone says their  heart is “broken”, it means they are very sad about something.  Do you think your heart can really break?

What does it mean to give someone a hand?
This saying has two meanings.  Someone might ask you to give them a hand and help them do something.  You might also give someone a hand (applause) after a performance. 

What does it mean to crack up?
When someone says they are going to crack up, it means they will laugh at something.  They find it really amusing and will laugh heartily.  Have you seen someone “crack up”?

When someone says, “Hold your tongue,”  what do they mean?
“Hold your tongue” is a way of telling people they should stop talking. 

6 comments:

  1. Wow excellent job! I love your chart! I love how you identify the potential challenge for ELL students and then offer a solution that is also in the form of a question. You could even have the students act out the meaning of the phrase "hold your tongue". You could then ask the students if they can talk while holding their tongue...this might also help ELL students make meaning of the phrase because they will be able to see how difficult the action of talking and holding their tongue is. You could also have them repeat this activity with the phrase "Give them a hand" .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gianna,
      Thank you for your comment! I love your suggestion of having students act out the metaphors. That is a great idea for all students, actually. They can see how silly the phrase is when taken literally.
      Great idea!
      Jenny

      Delete
  2. Very nicely done matrix Jenny. I especially love your first-hand account of reading with an ELL student who did not understand the word, "monster". Giving explanations as you did in most examples here certainly does help ELL students gain a better understanding. I like how you involved movement and acting in the last example by having the student physically hold his tongue.

    Brooke Dannar

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brooke,
      Thank you for your comment! It was so difficult to describe a monster to someone who didn't know what one was. Some are nice, some can be mean, some are silly. They come in all shapes and sizes. Some have horns, some don't. There really doesn't seem to be any real consistency. How can you describe it? What an a-HA moment for me!

      Jenny

      Delete
  3. My kids love Ted Arnold books! Until your post, I hadn’t thought about how difficult they might be for ELL students to comprehend. 90% of the students in my classroom are ELL students who were born in Mexico. Only one of my students goes trick or treating, but most of the families do not acknowledge Halloween. A few families have told me that they consider it the devils holiday! I’ve pretty much stayed away from all Halloween books and we don’t have parties or anything for Halloween since it isn’t culturally accepted. I had no idea as a first year teacher and I’ve realized that I have to be culturally sensitive with all of my lesson planning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tracy,
      What a challenging situation. You have a class of students that are not interested in celebrating Halloween. I've had classes where parents are upset that we don't do more. Do you celebrate Cinco de Mayo and Dia de la Muerta in your classroom?

      Jenny

      Delete