Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Sheltered Lesson Video


           The video showing a sheltered literacy lesson was obviously filmed in a secondary classroom.  Because my principal focus throughout my career has been elementary, specifically the primary level, I naturally watched it with that frame of reference.  From the beginning, I wondered if all of the strategies demonstrated by the teacher would be useful with primary students. 
In the introduction to the video, the environment was identified as a home economics classroom.   My first thought was whether the environment, which was irrelevant to the subject being taught and which included kitchenettes and posters on topics specific to home economics would be distracting for the students.   I had the same thought again as we saw the white board and chart paper the teacher was using so enthusiastically.  I felt that the copious amount of written notes across the white board and on the chart paper could easily be overwhelming to students who may still be learning the language. 
Prior to reading, the teacher did a terrific job of helping students activate background knowledge.  Providing each student with an opportunity to share his very unique background prior to reading helps students more easily understand the text.  The guidelines described in the video for vocabulary included selecting key words, saying them aloud and writing them on the board, and providing context for understanding.  The teacher in the video was introducing new words to the students.  Looking at the list of words, I wondered if it was necessary to introduce so many at one time. In my work with primary students, I tend to select only a few words for a specific passage or text so as to not overwhelm students. 
At one point in the video, I noticed that one student seemed more open to responding than the others.  Although students need to build confidence before feeling comfortable offering a response, I wonder if the teacher should nevertheless have encouraged other students in the class to share their thoughts. 
During the reading, I think it is especially important for the teacher to model fluent reading as students follow along.  At the beginning of this course, as I attempted to read a text in French, I came to the realization that having someone fluent in the language read the text and model reading and the language for me would have been very helpful.  This teacher did an excellent job of stopping occasionally as she read and sharing her thoughts about the text.  These think-alouds are especially important for young students who are learning to read for meaning.  I think that wait time is imperative for ELL students.  Wait time is important for all students, but for students collecting their thoughts in a new language, it is essential. 
Although teacher modeling is important, students should also be reading.  Round Robin reading has been found to be an ineffective technique for building both skill and confidence.  Additional strategies can be found in a book called Goodbye Round Robin by Michael Opitz and Timothy Rasinski. 
After reading the text, it is important to review the reading strategies the teacher modeled and the students practiced.  Students should also be given an opportunity to review important vocabulary.  Retelling or summarizing the story will help students ensure they understood the entire story.  I think it would be especially important for ELL students to work in groups on hands-on activities after reading.  This gives them a chance to talk to other students about the text while using new vocabulary.  They are able to share their connections to the story with other students, deepening understanding of the text by all students.  This kind of group work provides struggling students an opportunity to vent frustration and learn more informally from their classmates. 
The teacher in this video has a terrific strategy sequence for her students.  She starts with visualization.  Secondary students may be able to handle this exercise fairly well, but it can be a more difficult for primary students. 
The next skill she mentioned was questioning.  I think this is a difficult task for all students regardless of age.  While questions such as “What color is the sky?” are mastered fairly early, asking deeper questions such as “If air is invisible, why is the sky blue?” is much more difficult for students to do.  Perhaps we should allow students more time and practice in order to master this skill.
Inferencing is the third skill she teaches.  Skilled readers can infer from a text without conscious thought.  However, because this skill is more conceptual, I think it is not only difficult for students to learn, but often difficult for teachers to teach as well.  
I found the teacher in this video to be knowledgeable, skillful and enthusiastic.  While some of her strategies would work well with students at all levels, I have reservations about others.  The almost overwhelming notes on the white board, for example, would probably not be useful in a class of primary students.  Nevertheless, I found this video over all to be both helpful and thought provoking.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jenny. You commented on something that I also have a question on: Looking at the list of words, I wondered if it was necessary to introduce so many at one time. In my work with primary students, I tend to select only a few words for a specific passage or text so as to not overwhelm students.

    When working with Ell students inside of a non- ell classroom I wonder how many vocabulary words we should concentrate on at a time. With limited time and resources, I often find teachers try to teach to the "middle" with some adaptations for the higher and lower students but most of the time and effort goes to the average student. When asked for advice on how to work through this I am often stumped and try to suggest the teacher concentrate on a small amount of specific vocabulary terms. When reading a novel if the teacher pauses to explain so many terms, the novel would take all semester to read and due to district expectations, most clases must cover 3 novels per semester. I would love to read a book that gives good ideas on how to best work through this issue. Thanks for bringing up an important and difficult topic.

    ReplyDelete